A Self-Care Action Plan

A Self-Care Action Plan

Self-care can seem like a daunting task when you’ve already got a lot on your plate, so let’s take a little time to reflect on what works best for you, and make an action plan.

Huge thanks to Sarah Manuel for supporting us on Patreon!

Hosted by: Hank Green

Support How to Adult on Patreon at http://www.patreon.com/howtoadult

Or at DFTBA Records!
How to Adult

“How to Adult” is a “life skills” edutainment channel brought to you by Executive Producers Hank Green and John Green. Subscribe for new videos!

Tumblr: http://learnhowtoadult.tumblr.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/learnhowtoadult
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/learnhowtoadult

RESOURCES (almost 50 self-care action ideas to take!):

1. Sharon Chud on February 7, 2019 at 7:11 pm

.Hello I’m Sharon Chud I am a Nutritionist and Functional Medicine Practitioner. I did several interviews with Angie Atkinson on her youtube channel which she interviewed me. Would you be interested in interviewing me on your channel? Contact me at schud1234@gmail.com

2. Mitali Purohit on February 7, 2019 at 7:16 pm

Make a list of your all time fav happy/chill songs and listen to this playlist once a week.

3. Amber Spath on February 7, 2019 at 7:17 pm

He’s gushing over his baby

4. Danielle S on February 7, 2019 at 7:19 pm

1. “It’s ok to take care of yourself.” Thanks , that was vague af

5. Ranjith Kumar R on February 7, 2019 at 7:19 pm

Yay! A quote from Melodie Beattie. Subbed!

6. Helen Martinez on February 7, 2019 at 7:19 pm

One of the signs I look out for is my hands shaking. That’s usually when I say Ok, what’s going on, what do I need to do to calm down.

7. The Mind Is Everything on February 7, 2019 at 7:21 pm

Great vid – my personal notes: A Self-Care Action Plan by Hank Green
    Self-Care is extremely important. It will ultimately allow me to be more productive. It will also prevent me from mental breakdowns and losing my shit. This means suicide, giving up on goals/clients/society. The point of everything is happiness and contribution and the only way I can ever be happy is if I allow myself to be happy. Only when I am happy/energetic/positive, can I be productive, and contribute to society effectively. As hank says, “it is okay to take care of myself”. Self-care is not a reward that I earn. It is me being an adult taking responsibility for my own sanity. It is smart AND WISE to take care of myself.

8. B Things on February 7, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Journaling is something I definitely do. I also find that sometimes it helps to just kind-of write aimlessly. As a student, I spend a lot of my day sitting at a computer writing papers, doing research, and the like. Because the writing and stuff I have to do for school so often needs to be professional and well-structured, I occasionally need to set time aside to write something else. For me, at least, since I get tired of sitting in front of a computer to write, I use an old manual typewriter I have to just write about anything. It has no purpose, and I’m not trying to say anything, but the physical and mental process of writing things can be very relaxing, and the fact it’s on something that isn’t a computer makes it feel different and special. Of course, not everybody has a typewriter, but I sometimes think that writing things that aren’t really about anything—not even accounts of your day—and doing it in a slightly different way from how you normally work can be really helpful.

I also draw, which can help a lot too.

9. Son of the Moon on February 7, 2019 at 7:23 pm

This reminded me to clean my room lol. I’ll get help since it’s a mess.

10. Aerychi on February 7, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Thanks for a very informative video, Hank! I really like your presentation style and delivery. Also, I love your room decor!

11. steef4000000 on February 7, 2019 at 7:24 pm

lol i thought i was alone in liking walking but needing to be pushed by friends or family

12. Mary Armstrong on February 7, 2019 at 7:24 pm

Learn to listen to your self and motivate yourself. Thanks really good

13. Siyah Beyaz on February 7, 2019 at 7:25 pm

You are a nice human being. Thanks for the video.

14. Dominic Vollath on February 7, 2019 at 7:25 pm

Great video. Good job

15. Norma Deluna on February 7, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Very informative and helpful.

16. Sonny on February 7, 2019 at 7:27 pm

Great Video. Thank you for posting.

17. Leslie Johnson on February 7, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Awesome video. I have been "adulting" for 33 years and still haven’t figured it all out. I love the programs you are producing and the topics covered. I have referred them to my adult children and whoever else might listen. I wish I knew things sooner, but happy to be learning them now. You have a great personality. Please keep these videos coming.

18. Naeila Taqi on February 7, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Does anybody know where I can find the spreadsheet of T. Michael Martin that Hank mentions?… I tried googling it but couldn’t find anything

19. Mariam Halstead on February 7, 2019 at 7:30 pm

Leave a glass of water on your nighstand and drink it after waking up – helps to get you going. I also have a 10 minute recurring daily event for cat/doggo/goat videos. Something funny or cute.

20. Riley Rindlisbacher on February 7, 2019 at 7:37 pm

Thank you for making this channel everyone at How to Adult! (And for Hank mentioning HtA on VlogBrothers) I’ve recently become an adult and these videos are the best source I’ve received so far. Thank you so much.

21. VelleVette on February 7, 2019 at 7:37 pm

Man, I was so bad at self care in my thesis year. Probably because I hadn’t internalized Step 1. I refused to let myself sleep because I felt like I hadn’t done enough work that day. Which of course, the lack of sleep made me even more unproductive.

22. Rebecca E. Webber on February 7, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Thank you! I will be using this video for the class I teach on "getting your life on track" this week we are discussing putting our health first.

23. PanicAtTheHippo ! on February 7, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Omg there’s an how to adult channel where have you been my whole life

24. Tamazing T on February 7, 2019 at 7:40 pm

clicked on this video, saw hank. got so much happier

25. Fitzgerald on February 7, 2019 at 7:40 pm

This is a lovely video. Self-care is something I am trying to get a better handle on, and this was helpful. 🙂

26. Gavin Earnshaw on February 7, 2019 at 7:42 pm

Thank you Hank.

27. Verity Martin on February 7, 2019 at 7:43 pm

But what if I’m depressed and overwhelmed with work???

28. Synolve on February 7, 2019 at 7:44 pm

It’s truly important to have an adult self care plan!!!

29. iihebax-هبة on February 7, 2019 at 7:44 pm

i needed to stare at him the whole video so i can make shure he’s not john green

30. kissmygritz on February 7, 2019 at 7:46 pm

I love you, Green brothers.
    Yall had me for high school and now as an adult.

31. Anonymouz6015 on February 7, 2019 at 7:47 pm

Self-care is one of the mature brain patterns, but also is important self-confidence live in the present time.

32. Sandra M on February 7, 2019 at 7:47 pm

I need more cuddles in my life
    how do I get cuddles in my life as a childless adult who does not want a romantic relationship
    the struggle is real

33. i love beans on February 7, 2019 at 7:48 pm

ohhh the biology dude

34. StenzelClinical on February 7, 2019 at 7:48 pm

This is a great video. The most important thing to focus on in times of stress is self-care. Our therapists put together their favorite "self-care" reminders in a video- https://stenzelclinical.com/therapists-favorite-self-care-reminders/

35. Vivi Montilla on February 7, 2019 at 7:51 pm

Awsome video on self care!

36. Alina on February 7, 2019 at 7:51 pm

I’m 14 years old and not an adult, but it is really helpful! I’m interested in how i can make my life better and this video helped me a bit❤️

37. Ruth Jarmain on February 7, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Im 99% sure I’m depressed (I still need to go to my doctors) but I feel such an irrational and intense self hatred that any form of self care for me just feels like I’m wasting time on myself when I’ve got so much to do and it kind of feels like just burying my head in the sand. I really want to get better and just be kinder to myself overall, and I think that having some kind of self care routine will be really good for me, but I just don’t think i deserve it.

38. B.A.D. Dickie on February 7, 2019 at 7:59 pm

Wait seriously, can we get that spread sheet? because that person is a genius.

39. Naveen Gamage on February 7, 2019 at 8:00 pm

15 Ways to Add Self-Care to Your Workout Routine https://www.contrishare.com/4um8m

40. Jahneikah Coleman on February 7, 2019 at 8:00 pm

2:03 YESSS IKR THEY ARE ADORABLE!!!!!

41. Lifeline Training on February 7, 2019 at 8:03 pm

Hi, I am from Lifeline in Queensland, Australia. I was hoping to obtain permission to use this video in one of our e-learning modules. I have sent a request via your Facebook. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

42. decorumgun on February 7, 2019 at 8:04 pm

Wow, I am really glad I found this video. I was searching self-care on the tube, and here I am. I’ve seen the chemistry crash course videos, which helped me a lot. I’m in my 30s, just going back to school, majoring in biochem, and working full-time in food service still. I have some major mental health issues, too. Self-care wasn’t even in my vocabulary a year ago. Thanks so much for making an informative and easy-to-watch video. Love your work, keep it up and heartfelt congrats on the baby.

43. Megan K Jefferies on February 7, 2019 at 8:05 pm

Oh I love this content! So well done thank you! I love how you talked about self-care being simply the mind-set that we are each responsible for ourselves. I’m passionate about the self-care journey as well, it’s so personal to each person. For women, join my facebook group and the incredible group of supportive women that are already there! We would love to have you all. The group is called "Caring to Care: Self-care for Women" and it’s free to join. Here’s the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/527821627601333/

44. Ni x on February 7, 2019 at 8:09 pm

Hank Green!!!!!!

45. Hallie Odell on February 7, 2019 at 8:10 pm

I used to say "I’m too busy to take a nap" a lot, but recently I’ve been learning that if I carve out time for a short nap after I come home from work or school, I can wake up later and have more energy to get stuff done efficiently instead of dragging myself through the rest of the day. Self-care is a time-saver in the long run!

46. Terri Dominguez on February 7, 2019 at 8:10 pm

I work for an non-profit helping women and children our staff could get a lot from this video. Is it possible to use this video for our staff training on self-care?