How to practice emotional first aid | Guy Winch

How to practice emotional first aid | Guy Winch

We’ll go to the doctor when we feel flu-ish or a nagging pain. So why don’t we see a health professional when we feel emotional pain: guilt, loss, loneliness? Too many of us deal with common psychological-health issues on our own, says Guy Winch. But we don’t have to. He makes a compelling case to practice emotional hygiene — taking care of our emotions, our minds, with the same diligence we take care of our bodies.

TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world’s leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks on Technology, Entertainment and Design — plus science, business, global issues, the arts and much more.
Find closed captions and translated subtitles in many languages at http://www.ted.com/talks/guy_winch_the_case_for_emotional_hygiene

Follow TED news on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/tednews
Like TED on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TED

Subscribe to our channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TEDtalksDirector

1. Abby Heng on February 7, 2019 at 5:41 pm

he is the best

2. Baddy Gonzales on February 7, 2019 at 5:41 pm

Really cool thank you!

3. D. S.V. on February 7, 2019 at 5:42 pm

I need this…thank You!

4. Prasanna on February 7, 2019 at 5:42 pm

Brilliant! Excellent talk!! Thank you so much sir!. Quality of life is directly proportional to where do you live in your psychological world!

5. Patrick McNiece on February 7, 2019 at 5:42 pm

Ruminating. So real

6. Karu Agira on February 7, 2019 at 5:44 pm

I LOVED THIS TED TALK ❤

7. moochnhowzn on February 7, 2019 at 5:47 pm

I’m glad your brother recovered , nice happy ending

8. AussieVapez AussieVapez _/_ on February 7, 2019 at 5:50 pm

This talk is amazing… and should be mandatory viewing for one and all. ❤️ Its funny how we are not taught this important human information in school.

9. brassmonkeee on February 7, 2019 at 5:51 pm

I’m in tears because I’ve suffered at the hands of my psychological wounds for a very long time. I’ve been bleeding out. I’ve tried to fill my life with distractions from the pain, and it’s only caused more and more pain. I’m 35 and I’m tired of suffering. I choose to begin again, but this time not with a focus on something or someone else.. but a focus on my heart and my mind. <3 I hope you all find peace within, too.

10. Grace Okogwu on February 7, 2019 at 5:51 pm

who’s watching this in 2019?

11. Great Vibes - Documenting My Journey on February 7, 2019 at 5:52 pm

Interesting. Very interesting

12. Basubi Ganguly on February 7, 2019 at 5:53 pm

So inspiring

13. Alex Enriquez on February 7, 2019 at 5:55 pm

This guy just gave me the enough strenght to call my brother to tell him that my girlfriend brokeup with me, its a big relief to know that there are people with the same struggle as me, thank you so much!

14. Zae Duggins on February 7, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Best Ted talk I watched my whole experience of watching Ted

15. ɯɐS ʎllǝuuoᗡ on February 7, 2019 at 5:57 pm

I think this guy just made me realize my new second passion.

16. How To Be Happy on February 7, 2019 at 5:59 pm

Brilliant! 🙂 I loved Guy Winch’s talk & the very important points that he makes

17. instant noodle on February 7, 2019 at 6:02 pm

Never thought of it

18. Jasreen Singh on February 7, 2019 at 6:03 pm

A great combo of wit, intelligence and good communication

19. Peace Taiwo on February 7, 2019 at 6:06 pm

Honestly incredible

20. tweetie on February 7, 2019 at 6:07 pm

I love listening to voices such as this…and this is one my new favourite youtube videos ever

21. RC Networks on February 7, 2019 at 6:08 pm

Leaving this comment so I can come back in a few months to this video and see where I stand.

22. Ayush Srivastava on February 7, 2019 at 6:09 pm

Wish the video was titled accordingly: Emotional first aid is the 2nd part (around 11min). Before that is the context.

Something like "First aid for the emotions: The Why and The How" would be more appropriate. I’ve been watching the first part, getting anxious for the "How" to start and he kept going on about the why. I agree it is important but when you title videos with "How…", I’d expect concise context setting and more of the methods

23. Mohamed Amine Barhouni on February 7, 2019 at 6:10 pm

This is a great video which left me in tears. A story which starts from twins concerned with cookies, till they conquer Cancer at the end.. and in between, injuries of loneliness, failure, rejection and rumination turn into energies which enable resurrection

24. Alice on February 7, 2019 at 6:10 pm

Most useful ted talk that I’ve ever listened to. This info should be spread more, really.

25. Arjun Gupta on February 7, 2019 at 6:12 pm

Best TED talk so far. As some suffering from depression because of loneliness, rejection, failure and mostly because of ruminating on everything wrong that happened in my life, I feel like crying now, but cannot. I feel dead inside…

26. Jean Fox on February 7, 2019 at 6:16 pm

This guy should be one of the people who reads the audiobooks.

27. Di F on February 7, 2019 at 6:18 pm

Excellent presentation on emotional resilience

28. ImBsal on February 7, 2019 at 6:19 pm

Lonely & a smoker, there goes my 28% of the life

29. Vidisha Roy on February 7, 2019 at 6:19 pm

Beautiful use of NLP

30. Guinevere O'Riley on February 7, 2019 at 6:20 pm

A great talk and perspective on emotional health. A lot of people need to hear this.

31. Tom Taylor on February 7, 2019 at 6:23 pm

Why does this only have 1.6m views in 2019 Veganuary? Share this everyone?

32. 2001 1004 on February 7, 2019 at 6:24 pm

I wondered if I could erase all of my emotions and like be like a robot with a computer. I tried this for years and I concluded that I cannot do it.

33. William Smith on February 7, 2019 at 6:26 pm

Mind, Body and Spirit

34. threephazer on February 7, 2019 at 6:28 pm

How do you overcome low self esteem? How? How do you stop negative self talk?

35. prathamesh tondulkar on February 7, 2019 at 6:30 pm

best video

36. Nailah Orr on February 7, 2019 at 6:32 pm

Beautiful! As a neuroscientist I am more and more aware of how damaging real or perceived loneliness is. This is epidemic in our aging population! Excellent presentation DOC…from one "not real doc" to another…Bravo!

37. Duke Aaroniferous IXII on February 7, 2019 at 6:33 pm

This guy epitomizes perfect correlation of connection with the watcher or listener on a deep level. A superstar in the psychological sphere. Incredible charisma & extremely calming presence. He’d be a great Bond Villain as an actor aswell.

38. Dave Grohl's Right Elbow on February 7, 2019 at 6:35 pm

*it’s a bit long, but can possibly help you!* it’s crucial to understand that your brain is part of your body and the tow aren’t separated. Chemicals in your body are affecting your mental health and by treating your body well you’ll keep your mind well. exercising, taking cold showers and doing exciting things couse change in chemicals and hormones in your body that directly affect your mood. healthy diet plays a great factor too. I strongly reccomend searching on the internet: "Benefits of cold showers", because it was proved as a real mental "hygiene" and look up the YouTube channel "what I’ve learned" it’s a great channel which cover this subject.

39. Chuck Buell on February 7, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Excellent….we are in control.

40. Never Beaten on February 7, 2019 at 6:37 pm

Guess im dying 14yrs earlier.. I tried all to heal but im lonely saw terapists for years. Ppl dont like or leave me

41. Kelli Votel on February 7, 2019 at 6:37 pm

It’s so important for counselors to get their message out. People still view psychological health through the lens of stigma. People often refuse to get the extra support that could change the whole trajectory of their lives for the better for fear of being ‘weak’ or otherwise labeled. As you see here, in an extremely brief amount of time, people are hearing things that will put them on the path away from misery.

42. Pankhuri Arora on February 7, 2019 at 6:37 pm

Any cure for over confidence and over ambition?