Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder – Through My Eyes

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder – Through My Eyes

Go through a typical day of a person with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). This video is based on a personal account and demonstrates habits, behaviours and thoughts that a person with OCD may experience. The behaviours and rituals depicted are not common to everyone with OCD but specific to each individual.

If you have OCD, or if you know someone who does, the following resources may be of help:

Anxiety Disorders Association of Canada: http://www.anxietycanada.ca

Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Therapies: http://www.abct.org

International OCD Foundation: https://iocdf.org
The International OCD Foundation is a good place to start to find help.
On the home page look for the section with the title “Find Help.” Below the title is a place where you can search for resources available in your location. Enter your location and click “Find.” There is professional help available.

Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH): http://www.camh.ca

This video was made by Health Science 4DM3 students Saima Ahmad, Atherai Maran, Candy Niu, and Joy Sumin Park.

Copyright McMaster University 2017

1. Calista Rose on February 7, 2019 at 5:37 pm

To much washinggg :0:0::00:0 but seriously she put the iron faced down. WHY GOD WHY!

2. Ryomi Gumifox on February 7, 2019 at 5:38 pm

THE PHONE WENT BACK TO IT ORIGINAL WAY AFTER IT WAS CROCKED

3. Ashley Ashley on February 7, 2019 at 5:39 pm

I do things similar to this… i have to tap something,brush my teeth, anything 22 times or someone will die (idk why) and I can’t get my schoolwork done because i have to do something like clean and organized everyday… idk maybe I’m just overreacting..

4. Binge watching intesifies on February 7, 2019 at 5:39 pm

A friend of mine has an ocd like habit.He has to ALWAYS smell whatever is going to touch his mouth. If he doesn’t do it he thinks his entire family will die.I find it cute cause you see him sniff every bite if food he has or even his e cigar.

5. Maya Rose on February 7, 2019 at 5:42 pm

Sometimes I wonder if I have ocd , I’m not sure if I do or not though because I haven’t gotten checked for it. But I have this REALLY BAD clarification issue. I have to clarify something over an over again until I’m sure it’s right, also I do things physically OVER AND OVER AND OVER again like checking if my doors are locked over and over again, and too much other shit that would be a novel if I wrote all that here. I feel like I can’t think properly 99% of the time because of all this going on in my mind. It drives me insane.

6. elizabeth greene on February 7, 2019 at 5:42 pm

Dude, this is so accurate

7. Ana Victoria Leon on February 7, 2019 at 5:43 pm

This is basically what my routine looks like. With a lot of excessive hand washing….lol. It’s nice to see someone who shares these experiences because it’s definitely not easy.

8. Oblivi8 Domin8 on February 7, 2019 at 5:43 pm

wat da hecc bro gO sAvE sOmE hAnDwAsH

9. Bts Army on February 7, 2019 at 5:46 pm

Why u putting the iron on the wood floor facing down?? Don’t u know that wood can burn? And also who dafuq wears socks with sandals? My soul hurts for u fellow child. U need prayers to get ur head straight.
    But seriously tho the problem seems to not just be in the head and that means u are a part of the problem. And u are basically putting oxygen to the fire by letting ur anxiety take over ur life. U could start by trying to not do it, just try to wash ur hands 2 times and then repeat in ur head that ur satisfied with that and that ur clean and then just walk away. If it does help try doing it more and more. And then maybe u could start doing the same with other stuff to. Since it’s ur anxiety and ocd talking and that forces u to do these stuff u could maybe start thinking that one time is enough, just try to not go out and then back in and then out again and instead just go out check if it’s locked and walk away and see how that makes u feel. I dunno if this even works or if what I’m saying is totally wrong, bc if this would work someone would have surly already discovered it.

10. Silvia Maharjan on February 7, 2019 at 5:49 pm

when she was washing her hands, the water…..UHH

11. danyy on February 7, 2019 at 5:50 pm

how tf could anyone’s just wake up and immediately wake up and then just have the curtains open

12. Lauren K on February 7, 2019 at 5:50 pm

Sad piano music cues

13. Cat Crones on February 7, 2019 at 5:57 pm

to everyone talking about the weird things she does: they are probably some of her compulsions that’s literally the POINT of the video do y’all even know was ocd is damn

14. Miss Валентинка on February 7, 2019 at 5:57 pm

I would go back home to check if the iron cable has really pulled off.

15. Suroushi MMD on February 7, 2019 at 5:59 pm

I have been diagnosed with ocd for 2 years now and some things in this were slightly similar to what it’s like for me but not enough to say “yes this is what it’s like” at least in my experience.. ik everyone experiences it differently

16. Addison Cline on February 7, 2019 at 6:00 pm

I have ocd too

17. celestia gaming on February 7, 2019 at 6:00 pm

One fact they got wrong here. It is not in all cases chronic. If caught at a young age can be treated thru corrective therapy and counseling. It helped me a lot, I shake hands now.

18. talullah gardiner on February 7, 2019 at 6:01 pm

HOT IRON

IS
    ON
    THE
    FLOOR!!!!!

19. Madison Mitchell on February 7, 2019 at 6:01 pm

I have ocd and this video got me in my feels low key, I used to be way worse when I was younger (I’m 17 now) and occasionally there will still be little things that I’m excessive about but thankfully not as bad as it used to be… for example when I was like 11 or 12 maybe I would have to spin in circles until I felt right before sitting down at home and if it didn’t feel right I would have to get up and do it again until I didn’t feel like I had to do it anymore… life with ocd can be very annoying

20. fish on February 7, 2019 at 6:01 pm

people are bothered by the sandals but what’s bothering me is how the tap was left on while she was washing her hands??? do people actually do that? it’s a waste of water.

21. King Kayla on February 7, 2019 at 6:01 pm

Holy shit …. I do the exact same stuff but my parents told me I couldn’t have ocd because my room is a mess

22. Noelia Martinez on February 7, 2019 at 6:04 pm

I cringed a little from the socks and flip flops ..

23. Sophie Smith on February 7, 2019 at 6:04 pm

I have ocd and I have so many physical things like this but I also have mental obsessions – I obsess over friendships and relationships and I always think to myself “omg why’d you say that no one likes you no one actually enjoys spending time with you you’re a terrible person no one actually likes you they’re all lying to you”
    When I was younger my ocd was convinced that my parents were trying to poison me so I wouldn’t eat the food they’d make me but of course I did I just felt nervous – I knew it wasn’t true it was just an irrational fear 🙁
    But I relate to this video a lot thank you for sharing the story ❤️

24. That BUTTERY BISCUIT on February 7, 2019 at 6:05 pm

I have le ADHD
    It’s super weird!

25. lemondrop11 on February 7, 2019 at 6:06 pm

I have some kind of OCD I’m not sure if it is OCD but I’m a germaphobe and it makes it really hard because everyone in my house has some kind of mental illness my dad has depression my my sister and grandma have anxiety and me and my stepmom have OCD and we live in a 3 bedroom house with 4 cats and a dog it’s impossible to not get in each others way not to mention that I have no friends because they all found new friends and I feel so depressed because my stepmom was pregnant but lost the baby and no one told me that the baby had downs syndrome I had to find out on Instagram

26. R3KT ked on February 7, 2019 at 6:09 pm

Next;

ADHD through my ears.

27. Kitsune Haru on February 7, 2019 at 6:11 pm

I don’t like how people are like "I toooottaallly have OCD" even thought they don’t. I remember when I was bothered by the crooked carpet and then my friend was like "You have OCD" like, NO I DON’T! I’M JUST A PERFECTIONIST OK!?

BTW, when I mean crooked, I mean VERRRYYYY crooked. That’s why it was pissing me off.

28. Bangtan Birb on February 7, 2019 at 6:13 pm

Big mood

29. Lauren K on February 7, 2019 at 6:13 pm

You say OCD I say pussy bitch

30. Tris c; on February 7, 2019 at 6:18 pm

if you don’t like socks and sandals don’t come to australia

31. Luna - on February 7, 2019 at 6:25 pm

I dont have ocd but I wash my hands alot, theyre very dry. I dont wash them many times after eachother though, but evertime I feel i touched something that left a recidue or smell i need to wash them. Or if I visualize something has bad stuff on it even though i dont feel it, i need to wash them. And before I touch my computer or gaming devices, i need to wash them. And I especially hate having sticky fingers. I wasnt like that before but its kinda gotten worse

32. BLUE PANTHER on February 7, 2019 at 6:25 pm

I have a cousin who always wetting her hands, like if she dont have any water she would spit a saliva on her hand and pretend that it was water to clean her hand.. She always thinks that her hand is full of dirt

33. Ilan Ilan on February 7, 2019 at 6:26 pm

~LOL~

34. Ryomi Gumifox on February 7, 2019 at 6:26 pm

The shoes,the shampoo,the bag isnt neat tho also the tooth brushes

35. Vanessa Adiyasa on February 7, 2019 at 6:27 pm

Ahaha, i think i have those. But really, that sandals in ur room tho. I would slide with my socks, tidy my room, make sure the room is clean before go to bathroom, smells and feel my hands if its rly clean, close the cabinet, clean up the clothes after i choose it, face up the iron, unplug all the electronics before going outside, and make sure the boots are equally tidy and face the same direction.

Oh, and those mess in front of ur door. It bothers me so much that i want to sweep it myself. That papper in front of ur door as well.. I would bring it to my house. Then, i’d make sure to lock my door. I’d check 3 times if needed.

If i wasn’t satisfied with my handwriting, i’d definitely throw it away and start writing it all over again until i am satisfied.

Gosh, i am weird

36. Inna-fatmah Dianalan on February 7, 2019 at 6:30 pm

I’m an iron girl but I don’t think I have ocd. good thing

37. Elmy Chua on February 7, 2019 at 6:31 pm

While u wash ur hands, u kept the water running. I can’t stand that.

So Asian of me.

38. Anastasia McAvoy on February 7, 2019 at 6:32 pm

I always have the floors at school and home and everywhere in between already in segments,k? Now I ALWAYS take an even amount of steps in them, my left foot first. Another thing is that everything has to be even, like if I eat food, I chew 2-5 times on the left and then the same number of times on the right, my shoelaces have to be the same tightness. My hair has to be perfect (or I gotta be suuuuper tired). There’s more too… yeah, I’m pretty sure I have OCD.

39. Lilly WhiteTM on February 7, 2019 at 6:33 pm

Lmao ocd but wears socks with sandals don’t hate this is just my opinion

40. Bebe Urie on February 7, 2019 at 6:34 pm

Ok as someone with SEVERE ocd I feel as though this outlines stereotypical behaviour more so than what a lot of us actually go through on a second to second basis. And also that iron face down really got me buggin