#ReadHarder 2015: Read a Self-Help Book

#ReadHarder 2015: Read a Self-Help Book

Four recommendations for Self-Help Books. Part of the #ReadHarder Challenge.

All the #ReadHarder Challenge tasks here: http://bookriot.com/2014/12/15/book-riot-2015-read-harder-challenge/

Books mentioned in this video:

MOONWALKING WITH EINSTEIN by Joshua Foer: http://ow.ly/I9IZq
THINKING, FAST AND SLOW by Daniel Kahneman: http://ow.ly/I9JfZ
SO GOOD THEY CAN’T IGNORE YOU by Cal Newport: http://ow.ly/I9Jok
SELF-INFLICTED WOUNDS by Aisha Tyler: http://ow.ly/I9JxC

1. rincey reads on February 7, 2019 at 5:38 pm

Moonwalking with Einstein sounds really intriguing! I think that one will have to be my self-help pick.

2. gamblingbear on February 7, 2019 at 5:49 pm

Cal Newport’s blog is a great source of good food for thought. I’ve been meaning to pick up his book for a long time.

3. Joshua Torres on February 7, 2019 at 5:58 pm

Really liked your video!

4. A Davis on February 7, 2019 at 6:05 pm

I’m listening to Self-Inflicted Wounds right now on audio and really enjoying it.  Didn’t really think of it as self help…more like an expletive laden romp through her childhood!  She does end each fiasco she recounts with a little nugget of wisdom…It’s entertaining and funny.

5. Zeena Shrestha on February 7, 2019 at 6:10 pm

If anyone is interested in attraction the best results that I have had was with the Max Miracle Method (just google it) definately the most incredible guide i’ve tried.

6. Hi ben on February 7, 2019 at 6:11 pm

Power questions.

7. Seki Deschanel on February 7, 2019 at 6:22 pm

saw the Harry Potter series and subscribed 😉

8. Kincaid2576 on February 7, 2019 at 6:22 pm

I am really enjoying the Read Harder series. I just discovered it this morning and I am on video 12/14. I wonder if I was so caught up in the midst of my teenage angst that I can’t remember, but I wish my English teachers would have explained what they loved about the books they had us read the way the host does. I really think that would have helped to color how I viewed some of my assignments. I wish the playlist went in chronological order instead of reverse order, it would make binge watching for viewers such as myself more enjoyable.

9. Lisa Diane on February 7, 2019 at 6:22 pm

Thanks for the recs! I always liked Dear Sugar’s advice column on the Rumpus, so I’m thinking of picking up Tiny Beautiful Things by her (Cheryl Strayed). I remember it as fascinating and sprinkled with the transcendent.

10. P. Thomas Garcia on February 7, 2019 at 6:23 pm

I read _Blink_ by Gladwell and _Thinking, Fast and Slow_ by Kahneman just this month, and believe they compliment each other well if read in that order. What I took away from them is that experiece tells in one of two ways, be it in fast, expert judgements per Gladwell or expert algorithms per Kahneman, there is place and time for both.

Gladwell acknowledges this in his sub-chapter "A Crisis in the ER," and Afterword, while Kahneman does so in his chapter "Expert Intuition: When Can We Trust It?" when he writes about his work with fellow psychologist Gary Klein. One of the joys I get in reading these books is that I want to disagree with both authors, causing me question their ideas, but more importantly, mine as well.

Interesting comments on memory. I have _Moonwalking With Einstein_ high on my bonus TBR. I like what Kahneman said at the end of his book about memory in general, "odd as it may seem, I am my remembering self, and the experiencing self, who does my living, is like a stranger to me."

Also, I’m finishing up _Think Better_ by Tim Hurson, and he stated that Kahneman, along with two of his collegues, "demonstrated that far from aiding effective decision making, intense anlalysis can actually result in poorer decisions than relying on one’s ‘gut,’" referring to _Judgement under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases_. So who can say in the end? Not even the experts apparently.